[svlug] One hard drive per OS...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 17 14:36:52 PST 2015

Quoting Michael C. Robinson (plug_1 at robinson-west.com):

> how do I boot different OSes without switching the primary hard drive
> in the BIOS?

Hot-swap drive bays?  Placing any secondary-use OSes inside VMs?

Personally, I found my life to be come much simpler after deciding to
stick to a single host OS per machine, and cease the multibooting madness.
That was around 1999.

> I have grub set up on a dedicated hard drive to boot Fedora which is on
> a dedicated hard disk and Windows 7 which is on a dedicated SSD.  I
> also have my Linux From Scratch system that boots from grub installed
> to it's own dedicated hard drive.  How do I boot grub from grub, or is
> that even possible?

Why not branch to the LFS drive's kernel, initrd, and root filesystem,
and skip the LFS drive's locally-installed instance of Grub?  For the
described scenario, seems to me that said second instance of Grub is
superfluous.

> Full backups and bare metal recovery may not be the way to go these
> days, but what alternatives are there to support OSes after EOL?

Switch to open source?  ;->

I continue to think this isn't going to be a fruitful place for you to
get help with your MS-Windows98 SE problems, Michael.  (As before, this
is just a prediction.)

> Another issue, how do I copy that external hard disk to my NAS,
> which is raided?

Perhaps you could elaborate, as I don't yet understand the question.

--
Cheers,                           (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
Rick Moen                         (alec_eso): 1, morganj