[svlug] France and Lebanon (was: France.)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 17 14:22:45 PST 2015

Quoting Michael C. Robinson (plug_1 at robinson-west.com):

> This isn't Linux specific, but prayers offered for the French after the
> attack on Paris.

Beirut is also in mourning.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/17/adel-termos-martyr-father-became-saviour-beirut-bombings

> The terrorists apparently used Sony Playstation 4 and secure DES
> encryption to communicate in a way that intelligence could not pick
> up.

Nope.
http://mashable.com/2015/11/16/isis-playstation-paris-attacks
http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/16/9745216/playstation-4-paris-attacks-reporting-error

  There's only one problem: the interview took place [link] three days
  before the Paris attacks. The Forbes reporter who championed the
  PlayStation connection, including new details about a PlayStation 4
  being found at an attacker's apartment, has now admitted to Kotaku
  that he got the story wrong [link], entirely inventing the discovery
  of the console at the attacker's apartment. That leaves us with no
  evidence linking the PlayStation 4 or Sony networks to the Paris attacks.

Ah, I see.  A cynic might nurse nasty suspicions about who floated that
rumour, and why.

However, suppose the young hoodlums representing Daesh did.  After all,
strong crypto has been a basic fact of life all over the world for about
20 years even among the less technically adept.

Any technology can be abused.  But we don't ban eyeglasses (or put
legally mandated backdoors into them) because some embezzlers wear them.

> I'm not a strong advocate of having back doors on encryption, but how
> can this terrible abuse of technology be combatted?

Good basic police work, would be a start.  Information coming out of
Belgium and France is suggesting deficiencies in that area, and I'm sure
more will slowly dribble out.

And also, in the end, perfect safety is an illusion, and ironically a
dangerous one.