[svlug] procmail (was: Some pretty serious parsing)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Nov 17 06:48:16 PST 2015

On 11/17/2015 04:51 AM, Akkana Peck wrote:

> Procmail has includes. My .procmailrc is very short and mostly
> contains lines like
> PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail
> INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/lists.rc
> INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/spast.rc

> The individual .rc files have the actual rules. (Spast is a handy
> system for making whitelist and blacklist files and passing subject,

But there is no way to "force" rules/define variables before/after users
rules get applied and well dovecot system is simply better: write files
in before/after directory and they will be executed in lexicographic order.
A bit of a pain if you have to reorder stuff, that can generally be
avoided leaving some space in the list and planning a bit in advance.
Plus you have different ways to "include" stuff.

> You run both fetchmail and dovecot? Do you set dovecot as fetchmail's
> mda? I'm not finding much with google about doing that -- mostly
> people asking on mailing lists. I had assumed that using dovecot
> would mean running it on the mail server, then accessing the folders
> using something like mailsync (is that still maintained?)

fetchmail collects mails I've on various servers and pass them to
postfix that pass them to...

As Rick said you can use just part of the dovecot suite even if I
suspect the way it is packaged by debian won't make it particularly
amenable, or pick up another sieve implementation but well dovecot is
such a nice tool I wouldn't look elsewhere.
Considering that now everyone has a mini computer in its pocket that
unfortunately has no comfortable keyboard and a too small screen IMAP
IDLE/NOTIFY makes much more sense.

I've been curious to try http://www.dbmail.org/ but I've been so happy
with dovecot I never found enough motivation + I can still read my mails
with mutt if dovecot die, I'll have to resurrect a DB and dbmail is
something goes wrong with dbmail.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it