[svlug] procmail (was: Some pretty serious parsing)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 17 00:02:55 PST 2015

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> You run both fetchmail and dovecot? Do you set dovecot as fetchmail's
> mda? I'm not finding much with google about doing that -- mostly
> people asking on mailing lists. I had assumed that using dovecot
> would mean running it on the mail server, then accessing the folders
> using something like mailsync (is that still maintained?)

I obviously don't know what Ivan's configuration is (no idea what he's
using fetchmail for, for example), but just wanted to point out that
Dovecot is a _suite_ of mail-related tools.  Some of these can be easily
used a la carte (such as dovecot-lda with optional Pigeonhole Sieve
interpreter), and others probably not.

dovecot: master process
anvil: keeps track of user connections
log: does all logging except for the master process's
config: parser for conffile, sends resulting data to other parts
auth: runs as authentication middleman
imap-login: handles new IMAP connections and SSL-proxying through login
imap: handles IMAP connections after login
pop3-login: as above except POP3
pop3: as above except POP3
dovecot-lda: the local delivery agent, of course
lmtp: LMTP server & proxy
doveadm: administration tool
doveconf: reads, parses, and dumps Dovecots conffiles in human-friendly form
doveadm-sync: two-way mailbox sync utility
doveadm-backup: one-way mailbox sync utilit

There are also a boatload of plugins.  http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins

To my knowledge, Sieve support requires the plugin 'Pigeonhole
Sieve interpreter', http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve , in which
case it works with dovecot-lda.

I felt Dovecot was a major win when Timo Sirainen released it in 2002,
because its imap* and pop3* daemon components instantly obsoleted a lot
of the really badly written, pre-existing IMAP4 and POP3 daemons -- even
though for security and other reasons, I personally elect to run _no_
remote mailbox access daemons on my server, and instead SSH to my MTA
box and deal with mail there, only.  Yay, mutt.

--
Cheers,                      <blazemore> omg i love this song
Rick Moen                    <blazemore> Now playing: Unknown Artist - Track 2