[svlug] serial ports

Howard Susman howard at scsurplus.com
Mon Nov 16 16:44:41 PST 2015

In old old Linux, I had no trouble using serial ports for communication.
Then maybe ten years ago serial ports did not work for me. I never
discovered why. My solution was to stick with an old version of Linux.
I chose and still am using Fedora release 6. Kernel 2.6.22. I could
still use all my serial ports under that version. Still on Ubuntu 14.04
LTS my ports did not work. The system did recognize them, but I could
not use them.  For some reason, I gave it a try under Ubuntu 15.10.  My
ports are back! It is the same code I used under older versions. I am
happy and thought I would share my finding.
Howard