[svlug] procmail (was: Some pretty serious parsing)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Nov 16 16:35:58 PST 2015

On 11/17/2015 01:15 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> To keep my .procmailrc from becoming too unwieldy, I split it into
> badguys.rc, by_account.rc, diag_first.rc, diag_second.rc, envvars.rc,
> fallthrough.rc, maillists.rc, and vitals.rc. I modify the correct one
> (almost always a new entry to badguys.rc), run a script to
> update .procmailrc. After reading this thread, I added a backup step to
> my script so I have a backup of the original .procmailrc.

That's another place where dovecot sieve shines (possibly other
implementations as well).

You can have multiple recipes that are "auto merged", you can use
includes and you can force rules before and after each user personal
rules are applied.

> **IMMEDIATELY** afterwards, I send myself an email, and make sure it
> comes through to my inbox. I even have a special mailbox that receives
> any email with a specific string in the subject, so sometimes I send to
> that too. By doing this stuff immediately, I know if I screwed up
> my .procmailrc and can back out my changes.

When you compile your sieve rules you get error messages before anything
get screwed. If there are errors nothing get compiled and you keep
running the old rules. Dovecot implementation generally gives you enough
informative errors to correct your mistakes easily.
There is a dry-run mode and you can feed emails form text files.
I think there is also a "post processing" mode where you can point a
dovecot script to one of your mail folder and it will run a sieve script
on it.

I never felt the need to stop fetchmail once I moved to sieve.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it