[svlug] procmail (was: Some pretty serious parsing)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Nov 16 15:10:13 PST 2015

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo writes:
> On 11/16/2015 10:10 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:
>
> > For detecting that it's happened, the best I've been able to
> > come up with is to change all my procmail rules that append to
> > folders so that before they write, they log the last few
> > subject/date pairs in that folder, then log the subject and folder
> > it's trying to write to), then after writing, log the subject/date
> > pairs again, and if the pairs didn't change, alert me somehow. I
> > think that's possible, but it sounds daunting to set up.
>
> enable procmail log
>
> LOGFILE=${HOME}/log/procmail.log
> It logs: From, date, subject and destination folder

I'm already doing that. In my earlier message I pasted lines from
the verbose procmail log that showed that procmail claimed it was
locking the file and writing to it.

> That's why I'm so happy I switched to sieve, everything is much easier
> to debug... much earlier than when you start missing emails.

I will take a look at sieve and see how much work it would be to
rewrite all my existing rules. Thanks for the recommendation.

        ...Akkana