[svlug] procmail (was: Some pretty serious parsing)

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Mon Nov 16 15:06:27 PST 2015

Akkana Peck writes:
> Rick Moen writes:
> > I'm guessing you mean it's _some_ messages not getting delivered, not
> > all of them, right?  (If it were all of them, you'd be in emergency
> > debugging mode, not corresponding with mailing lists -- unless perhaps
>
> Quite so! This is something that only happens sporadically: it
> definitely happened twice within two days a couple of weeks ago (out
> of hundreds of messages a day) but I don't know how many times, if
> any, it's happened since then. The real problem here is, how do you
> find out that you didn't receive something? Most of the time you
> never know, unless someone asks you "Did you get my email?"

FWIW:

    http://www.johncon.com/john/archive/procmail.lint

contains a, (not so efficient,) way of checking PROCMAIL.LOG files for
script errors encountered by the procmail(1) program, (the egrep(1)
arguments were taken from the print statements in the error file
distributed in the procmail sources.)

Best strategy is to let procmail run, logging to PROCMAIL.LOG, on a
live system, and watch the size of the PROCMAIL.LOG file, (it can grow
quite rapidly on a busy system,) truncating the file, (rm
PROCMAIL.LOG,) periodically after running procmail.lint.

Procmail.lint only checks for syntactical issues in procmail scripts,
(and not logical errors.)

    John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/