[svlug] procmail (was: Some pretty serious parsing)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Nov 16 09:36:30 PST 2015

On 11/16/2015 05:44 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:

> Rick, thanks for posting your list of LDAs -- I'll look through
> those and see if there's anything else I could use. I have a huge
> set of procmail rules and *really* don't want to switch ... but if
> it can't be trusted to deliver mail ...

I moved everything to sieve. I can't even remember if I've found a
program or written one to convert recipes, anyway I'm much much happier now.
I did have long but simple recipes anyway and I was already using some
sort of compilation to produce my procmail recipes.

What I especially like of sieve is:
- sieve is conceived so you really have to explicitly say you want your
mail go to /dev/null otherwise you won't lose mails
- you can statically analyze your recipes

You may or may not like the fact that it was designed not to have "side
effects" (even if you may install plugins that run scripts).
I'm happy I'm not tempted to write Rube Goldberg recipes.

Never looked back, much easier to maintain.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it