[svlug] Some pretty serious parsing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 15 20:14:37 PST 2015

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> I've found PLY the one with the best balance between power and ease of
> use. PLY seems just a little bit more maintained than fetchmail but as
> Rick may say it could be just that it reached perfection.

Er, well, it wasn't _fetchmail_ I cited, but rather procmail.  (I have
no quarrel with anyone who likes fetchmail, but there are some
alternatives I prefer, partly on grounds of more minimal feature set.)

What I said about procmail is that some argue that instead of calling it
orphaned / unmaintained, it's fairer to say it works and doesn't need
anything new (despite a couple of theoretical security flaws that always
struck me as far-fetched).

I certainly wouldn't call procmail anything like _perfect_, e.g., the
notation style required is a bit monstrous.  And the source code is
likewise a horror -- which may be why nobody's keen to become the new
upstream maintainer.

All I was really saying is that, before deprecating a codebase as
orphaned / unmaintained, consider that in some cases this isn't a
problem for lack of maintenance, and that you might in those _specific_
cases opt for the glass-half-full term 'finished' rather than
'orphaned'.

Popular alternatives include Courier-MTA's LDA 'Maildrop', Dovecot's LDA
module that is confusingly _named_ 'LDA', various Sieve implementations,
sortmail, maildirproc, and Exim filters.

2010 article about orphaning of procmail:
https://lwn.net/Articles/416901/

--
Cheers,                                  "If you see a snake, just kill it.
Rick Moen                                Don't appoint a committee on snakes."