[svlug] Some pretty serious parsing

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Nov 14 14:54:30 PST 2015

On 11/14/2015 02:42 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need a fast, easy book authoring system to write books destined for
> both PDF/paper and ePub. It does not currently exist in the free
> software world.

> I've used LyX to write books (to PDF/paper) since 2001, and would
> continue to use it if it could write to both PDF and ePub. But it
> can't: The (X)html LyX outputs is pigeon html rendering pigeon
> ePubs with serious readtime deficiencies and inability to pass
> standards with eBook vendors.

[snip]

> The Stylz cheatsheet is at
> http://troubleshooters.com/projects/stylz/cheatsheet.htm . It evolves
> every few days: It's still in a state of flux.

[snip]

> So what do you all think? What's a good way to parse a fairly complex
> non-XML grammar to convert it to Xhtml?

I didn't get what's really wrong with the generated html.
I really never found a nice epub and after a while I stopped to look for
nice ones, so no surprise I may miss what you're expecting.
What are ebooks vendors standards?

You'd better investigate what other publishers use to produce pdf and epub.

If you've never written a parser and you're not very very comfortable
with C I'd start with a python or Java parser (I don't like Java but
there are some really nice parsers written in Java).

I've found PLY the one with the best balance between power and ease of
use. PLY seems just a little bit more maintained than fetchmail but as
Rick may say it could be just that it reached perfection.

It could be still easier to automatically add css to your lyx generated
HTML.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it