[svlug] Failing external drive. Planning to DD the failing drive to new external drive. Help please

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Fri Nov 13 10:08:49 PST 2015

On 11/13/2015 09:50 AM, H P Ladds wrote:
> Experimenting with dd, ddrescue, rsync. Backing-up a 3 gig thumb drive to new 2TB external hard drive.
dd and ddrescue copy the drive, not the contents. And yes, copying something bigger to something smaller results in running out of space unless you're
compressing it first and the data is sufficiently compressible. I doubt it's compressible enough to try; usually you need to explicitly clear free
space first.

How big are each of the partitions?

What do you mean by 'I can't mount one of the partitions of the failing drive'? What exact error message are you getting?