[svlug] Failing external drive. Planning to DD the failing drive to new external drive. Help please

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 09:50:41 PST 2015

Experimenting with dd, ddrescue, rsync. Backing-up a 3 gig thumb drive to
new 2TB external hard drive.

My greatest success thus far: Rsync copyies all content from 3 gig
thumbdrive. However, I believe the partitions of a rsync transaction need
to be mounted. I can't mount one of the partitions of the failing drive. So
it won't help me recovery the data.

dd renders my new drive unrecognized by my computer. If I unplug the USB
and power, and then reconnect the drive it works, but no content is on the
new drive.

ddrescue results in one of these three: Renders the drive unrecognizable --
as discribed above.  Returns a "ddrescue no space left on device" message.
Or all seems to go well but mounting the new hard drive results in an empty
loop device being mounted (according to my file manager -- Dolphin.)

Thanks,
Preston