[svlug] Failing external drive. Planning to DD the failing drive to new external drive. Help please

Roger E. Rustad, Jr. roger.rustad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:59:03 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Sarah Newman <newmans at sonic.net> wrote:

> If there's data it can't read, I would use ddrescue to copy the entire
> disk to an image. ddrescue has a way to keep track of data it can't read,
> so if
> you make two copies (one with the stuff it can't read set to 0 and one
> where the stuff it can't read is set to 1) you can do an md5sum on each
> (using
> both /dev/loop0 and /dev/loop1) and compare the md5sums to find corrupted
> files. I can't recall exactly how to do this off the top of my head, but I
> can try to dig it up if you aren't able to figure it out.

Sorry for the top post (didn't read the whole thing).

I've used ddrescue many times with my family's computers, and it works like
a charm.

After you use it, then I mounted the dd image (in Windows) with a tool like
OFS Mount.  After that, I could scan that drive with other tools like
Ontrack, Recuva, etc.

Hope that helps, and feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any
questions.

Rog