[svlug] lsof and systemd

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Nov 10 08:18:20 PST 2015

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:36:13 -0800
Mark - Syminet <mark at syminet.com> wrote:

> Considering sysV logging replacement, etc. -
>
> …will we lose things like lsof and fuser too?

I don't know. Who knows what Redhat will do next?

Luckily, this stuff is no longer my problem. For a month I've been
happily using Void Linux, with the Runit init system. Trivially easy to
use, and the run scripts (which average about 5 lines) are supplied
with the package. Runit handles PID1's responsibilities to fork the
process supervisor, handle zombies and signals, and shut down properly,
as well as giving me an outstanding process supervisor with tools to
completely supervise processes. No application phones home to see
whether Runit is PID1.

What a breath of fresh air!

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist