[svlug] BLFS-7.7 traceroute problem.

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Mon Nov 9 10:07:27 PST 2015

On 11/08/2015 09:12 PM, usually Michael wrote:
> The make gets to gcc -O2 -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -c mod-tcpconn.c
> and bombs.
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target '-lm', needed by 'traceroute'.  Stop.
> Makefile:80: recipe for target 'traceroute' failed
> make: *** [traceroute] Error 2

You don't give much context.

How about doing the following
   1) Include an explanation of what you are doing
   2) Tell us what you changed
   3) Show how you configured the package
   4) Include *all* commands you entered
   4) Include the complete transcript of building the package

Observations:
   1) The gcc command that you list has *nothing* to do with the error
   2) The error is from make, as it says
   3) The error says that there is a dependency for "-lm"
   4) The dependency is for the target "traceroute"

   This is because there is a target line in a Makefile which has -lm
   as a dependency.  This should never be the case; the -lm should
   be on the executable commands after the target line

> Been trying to use google to find an answer, but I'm starting to think
> something has gone wrong building Linux from Scratch and that I need a
> more meaningful error message so that I can figure out what's broken.

The error messages are completely meaningful.

Linux from Scratch is not paint-by-numbers, where every detail is
handled for you.  It's more like a box of oils, canvas, and brushes,
with directions saying "go do something".  If you lack the prerequisite
experience in building packages, this would be an area where you should
focus.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077