[svlug] BLFS-7.7 traceroute problem.

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Nov 9 04:00:18 PST 2015

On 11/09/2015 11:52 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> I pointed out several times -- and you chose to ignore me -- that,
>> contrary to your assumption, a netbooted recovery/maintenance system
>> needn't use NFS root.  Instead, you can (e.g.) pxeboot a small distro
>> running from a RAMDisk.  (If you needed more than can squeeze into a
>> RAMdisk and are not willing to remaster an existing distro of that class
>> to put what you want into the RAMdisk image file, in those shoes, yes,
>> I'd go with a USB key.)
>
> The most obvious possible Web search, in this matter, immediately
> brought up
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions_that_run_from_RAM .

Rick Moen, Santo subito[1].

LFS is an interesting learning exercise that should end exactly when you
get a booting system.
It's not the right way to learn how gcc and make work, let alone
becoming a make black belt being able to understand makefiles written by
different authors (or learning different make alternatives or juggling
with different languages... since well a distribution is made by so many
pieces...).

If you insist in building LFS that should be taken as prerequisites not
as something you learn on the way and still the whole exercise would be
pointless since you're working in a consistent mismatch of abstraction
levels.

[1]

http://www.catholiclane.com/cries-of-%E2%80%9Csaint-now%E2%80%9D-for-jpii-echo-%E2%80%9Csanto-subito%E2%80%9D-for-st-francis/

--