[svlug] BLFS-7.7 traceroute problem.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 9 02:52:16 PST 2015

I wrote:

> I pointed out several times -- and you chose to ignore me -- that,
> contrary to your assumption, a netbooted recovery/maintenance system
> needn't use NFS root.  Instead, you can (e.g.) pxeboot a small distro
> running from a RAMDisk.  (If you needed more than can squeeze into a
> RAMdisk and are not willing to remaster an existing distro of that class
> to put what you want into the RAMdisk image file, in those shoes, yes,
> I'd go with a USB key.)

The most obvious possible Web search, in this matter, immediately
brought up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions_that_run_from_RAM .

No matter what backup / restore / utility task you want to do within
reason concerning (in some fashion) your NAS, you most certainly can do
it with a number of those distros, and probably with all of them, and
probably with all of them without modification.  But of course you _can_
also remaster them, to automate tasks and for whatever other reasons
your needs require.  It's not hard.  Some of the distros are even
specifically made to be easily remastered, IIRC.

As I said:  You were once again furiously working away at solving the
wrong problem.

Maybe if you would stop to think through requirements analysis a bit
better, listen a bit better, and stop overspecifying solutions, you
wouldn't keep ending up in all of these roadblocks.