[svlug] BLFS-7.7 traceroute problem.

usually Michael plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Nov 9 00:14:55 PST 2015

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:

> Quoting usually Michael (plug_1 at robinson-west.com):
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Eh?
>
>> The make gets to gcc -O2 -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -c mod-tcpconn.c
>> and bombs.
>>
>> make[1]: *** No rule to make target '-lm', needed by 'traceroute'.  Stop.
>> Makefile:80: recipe for target 'traceroute' failed
>> make: *** [traceroute] Error 2
>>
>> Been trying to use google to find an answer....
>
> Wrong approach in this case.
>
> You will, I am sure, find the reason higher up in the compile session.
> You might want to get into the habit of logging compile-time output,
> perhaps using tee, so you can be certain of being able to find it --
> especially since you persist in using Linux from Scratch.
>
> I'm betting it's a lib that didn't build.

No I won't, there aren't any error messages earlier in the compile
session.  The
errors I am getting aren't descriptive enough for me to tell what
library is missing.

Sadly, the traceroute program I'm trying to compile doesn't indicate
what libraries it
needs.  If I knew which library is causing this, I could double check
LFS 7.7 and BLFS
7.7 for instructions on how to compile and install the necessary library.

>> ...but I'm starting to think  something has gone wrong building Linux
>> from Scratch and that I need a  more meaningful error message so that
>> I can figure out what's broken.
>
> Personally, I suspect you might have adopted LFS for the wrong reasons.

How is that comment helpful?  I chose Linux From Scratch because as
far as I know, you can't NFS root
boot a systemd based Linux system.  I want a reasonably modern Linux
distribution for bare metal backup
and recovery.  Those of us who have a NAS don't want to back up our OS
and software programs to a local
disk.  Kinda defeats the whole point of having a NAS.  I'm not
interested in running around with and
breaking hard drives.  Jazz disks are fairly unreliable, too low in
capacity, and pretty expensive.
There is the option of using USB memory keys, but then why have the
NAS? Burning CDs and DVDs has gone
the way of the Dodo because they scratch easily and hard drive
capacity far outstrips optical disc
capacity.  Tape drives aren't reliable enough to bother with,
especially when the capacity is too low.