[svlug] BLFS-7.7 traceroute problem.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 8 21:33:08 PST 2015

Quoting usually Michael (plug_1 at robinson-west.com):
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Eh?

> The make gets to gcc -O2 -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -c mod-tcpconn.c
> and bombs.
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target '-lm', needed by 'traceroute'.  Stop.
> Makefile:80: recipe for target 'traceroute' failed
> make: *** [traceroute] Error 2
>
> Been trying to use google to find an answer....

Wrong approach in this case.

You will, I am sure, find the reason higher up in the compile session.
You might want to get into the habit of logging compile-time output,
perhaps using tee, so you can be certain of being able to find it --
especially since you persist in using Linux from Scratch.

I'm betting it's a lib that didn't build.

> ...but I'm starting to think  something has gone wrong building Linux
> from Scratch and that I need a  more meaningful error message so that
> I can figure out what's broken.

Personally, I suspect you might have adopted LFS for the wrong reasons.

--
Cheers,                                  "If you see a snake, just kill it.
Rick Moen                                Don't appoint a committee on snakes."