[svlug] Grub2 dual boot Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 3 21:56:23 PST 2015

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> Me, I switched to using extlinux/syslinux, and was very happy with
> that for 4 years or so. I wrote about how to do that here:
> http://shallowsky.com/linux/extlinux.html

Excellent idea.

> But that was before UEFI, and on a UEFI system things work
> differently. I haven't had the nerve to try switching my UEFI laptop
> over to extlinux yet, though supposedly it's possible...

'SYSLINUX/EXTLINUX Installation & Configuration on UEFI':
http://edoceo.com/howto/syslinux-uefi

The estimable Arch Linux people also have:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux#UEFI_Systems

(Quoting that page, for clarification:  'Extlinux is part of the
Syslinux project and is included with the syslinux package.')

Above is not tested, but I hope the above will be of use.  (You are one
of the SVLUG subscribers for whom I'd be delighted to have done a favour.
The equally impressive Michael Eager is another.)

> Extlinux is almost certainly a much better bet than either lilo or
> busybox.

I've long wondered about _elilo_ for EFI systems.  It is/was a lilo
rewrite for the EFI era.

I see that it's now orphaned, but sometimes that's just the
glass-half-empty way of regarding a package that works and doesn't need
anything new.  (Some argue this about procmail, despite one or two
extremely farfetched theoretically-attackable flaws.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LILO_(boot_loader)#ELILO

Anyway:  Yeah, go, Extlinux!