[svlug] Dead Hard disk

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:44:51 PDT 2015

On 6/15/15 4:29 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:03:57 -0700
> Josef Grosch <jgrosch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm looking for a little advice here. My sister called in a panic
>> because the hard drive in her MacBook died over the weekend. The
>> MacBook is 5 years old so the drive is out of warrenty. She took it
>> to Apple and they replaced the drive but they told her that they
>> don't do data recovery. She really wants to get her pictures off the
>> drive, by the way its a Hitachi drive. Can anyone recommend a company
>> that does data recovery?
> The word "died" has all sorts of different meanings, and it sounds to
> me like you haven't personally inspected this drive. One possiblity is
> that a few bad spots on the drive prevented boot, causing Apple to say
> the drive "died", when most of the files are pristine. If that were
> the case, and if your sister is unwilling to pay the price of
> professional data recovery, I think it's possible for you to put it
> in a Linux box, boot up System Rescue CD, mount it readonly (I think as
> vstype hfsplus), and use ddrescue to get off of it as much as possible.
>
> <disclaimer>I've logged less than 40 hours on a Mac since 1984, and
> have never mounted a Mac formatted drive.</disclaimer>
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/key

My sister is in Virgina so, yes, I have not looked at the drive. I've
told her to send me the drive and I'll see what I can do. If I remember
correctly modern Linux systems do support mounting a HFS+ file system in
at least read only mode. Given that she is not technical and she took
the laptop to BestBuy and later took the "dead" disk to Apple I am
having serious reservations as to diagnosis.

If it truly is dead I'm going with Seth Schoen's advice and try DataSavers.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.