[svlug] So, about that time presentation

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Tue Jun 9 22:59:49 PDT 2015

Had a conflicting event or I would have been there...

Was adjtimex discussed? If so are there slides?  x-ref http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/adjtimex8.html

Fool that I was, I did not notice that on a subset of servers, local time was allowed as a source for ntpd. All but one are actually synced, but on
this one it was not synced to upstream. 'ntpstat' is the command I used to find this out.

The time is now too far in the future for ntpd to really work. Since the time is in the future I don't think it's safe to just correct it.

Referring to http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/distributions/redhat-5.0/i386/live/usr/doc/adjtimex-1.3/README I used adjtimex -p to look at
the tick value and it is way higher (faster) than on the other machines for reasons I'm not sure of. I am wondering if adjusting the tick value down
to slower than real-time, like on the order of dropping two seconds every minute, would be a reasonable way to eventually get back to reality before
starting ntpd in a sane mode again.

If anyone has any other ideas or input, please share.

Thanks, Sarah