[svlug] Security & PGP: "Why Johnny Can't encrypt"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 31 20:12:54 PST 2015

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> or what about CA breach...

'_Again_?  But that trick never works.'
              -- Rocket J. Squirrel

> Did the "Snowden effect" had any effect at all?

Glacial.  However, one of the nicer (and, IMO, notable) bits of recent
crypto news that followed the Snowden revelations is that, last year,
Google, Inc. let it be known that it would (might?) henceforth give
https pages a Page Rank advantage.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/388219/google-to-rank-encrypted-pages-higher
http://www.techwalls.com/encrypted-websites-might-soon-get-high-google-pagerank/

I don't know for sure that they followed through on that idea, but I
believe I've seen several browsers now doing automatic redirects to
https where available -- even without EFF's Https Everywhere extension
being involved.

The story I heard is that Google took this step (or proposed to take
this step) after being requested to do so by a number of large Internet
companies using EV SSL certs who nonetheless continually faced the
problem of being outranked by imposters.

Anyway, I think we should all say 'Thank you, Auntie Google' for that.
It's already having a _much_ bigger effect on adoption of crypto than
all the PGP advocacy that's ever been attempted or probably ever will.