[svlug] Security & PGP: "Why Johnny Can't encrypt"

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:22:05 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 12:38:33PM -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
> The article may be interesting, but it was published in 1999, 15 years ago.  There may
> have been significant changes during this time.  The article discusses PGP 5.0;
> the current version is 8.0.
>
> A much more recent critique of PGP can be found here:
> http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2014/08/whats-matter-with-pgp.html

Yeah, I read that one and it is disappointing to know that not a lot of effort
has been put into the system for a long time. However, when we really consider
the adoption rate, where is the motivation? The "Snowden effect" has created a
level of awreness that was not as prominant as it once was sure, but how many
people do we know can _actually_ set up encryption easily?

We're not talking about tech circle people either, I'm talking the average
office. If Sony had been using encryption, what stolen data would have been
useful? What are the legalities _against_ encrypting the average office data
even when people _know_ the benefits?

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein