[svlug] Security & PGP: "Why Johnny Can't encrypt"

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:02:03 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:58:16AM -0700, Jesse Monroy wrote:
> With the quotation marks, Google: "Why Johnny Can't encrypt"
>
> There are several PDF's available in the wild.

Wow! That's _really_ messed up.

Quoting:

"the user test demonstrated that when our test participants were
given 90 minutes in which to sign and encrypt a message using PGP 5.0, the
majority of
them were unable to do so successfully."

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~tygar/papers/Why_Johnny_Cant_Encrypt/OReilly.pdf

I've only dealt with a handful of encryption programs on various Linux systems
and I've never found them to be all that difficult. GnuPG from the command line
is probably the hardest and that's just a matter of learning all the commands.

PGP 5.0 must be a 'real' bear to deal with.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein