[svlug] (forw) Linux at Work

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 30 22:19:59 PST 2015

Quoting Scott DuBois (rhcom.linux at gmail.com):

> Holy cow! That _is_ a long time! I'll download 6.something or whatever is the
> latest 32bit I can nab that will spin in VirtualBox on my old HP dv6.

Once you have that installed, you have the most commercially significant
distro.  (Put any CentOS 5.x / RHEL5 in a second VM, and you have that covered, too.
The differences aren't big, except if you're doing LDAP authetication
for enterprise SSO, RHEL6 / CentOS 6.x has a few extra requirements that
will drive you batty, like nslcd.)

For modeling of the corporate experience, the fact that you're on IA32
and everyone else is on x86_64 won't matter except in giving you a vague
sense of dissatisfaction and a fixation on kernel RAM allocation.  ;->

And basically nobody's deploying RHEL7 / CentOS 7.x, yet.  Someone else
first, please!