[svlug] Network bandwidth problems...

Jesse Monroy jesse650 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 17:10:46 PST 2015

On 1/30/15, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:
> On 01/30/2015 11:56 PM, Michael Robinson wrote:
>> My brother is constantly accusing the Linux servers I run a web site on
>> of flooding the DSL to death.  I need a black box between the DSL modem
>> ::::SNIP::::
>> a buggy script on four linux servers.  Any and all help appreciated ;-)

Michael, I can tell you your brother is partially right. I could bet dollars
to donuts, if your ISP is AT&T or one of the duopolies, your bandwidth is
limited at peak times - that and you are at best getting <98% uptime.

So, whatever limited bandwidth you are getting, it is being choked
by your servers.

> Most SOHO router comes with some graphic tool to let you know number of
> connections, bandwidth etc... without even the need to install openwrt
> that you or your brother may be tempted to "tweak".
>
> You may also find some sort of traffic shaping GUI.

FYI: I'm currently working on documenting large parts of OpenWRT
and I can tell you there are solutions there - and the OS on the router
is going to a 3.X Linux kernel + appropriate tools. If you want to consider
this you can start with the slightly dated http://openwrt.org/

In addition, since I'm documenting this, I'm always open for questions.

I would recommend bandwidth monitoring, and upstream bandwith testing.

Jesse