[svlug] Boot systems: was Can't get LFS systemd system to boot

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jan 30 14:36:38 PST 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:07:01 -0700
Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:

> > Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> > > (I still laugh heartily when I remember all of those
> > > people who claimed with a serious face that changing from lilo to
> > > GRUB was going to make everything easier.  What a crock!)
>
> It did, at least for me. Grub 1 was able to keep its config files
> with information about all OSes on the disk in a common /boot
> partition, and put all its code on that /boot so you didn't have to
> worry about whether you had slightly different grub versions
> installed on your various OSes, like you did with LILO.
>
> It's grub 2 that's complicated and difficult to configure, and which
> went back to the model that only one OS can own /boot and the rest
> must all be subsidiary to that.
>
> Steve Litt writes:
> > Also, anyone here booting their hard disks from SYSLINUX? Am I
> > correct that SYSLINUX can't boot a UEFI/GPT disk? Any tips on using
> > SYSLINUX?
>
> I use extlinux (syslinux) on all my non-UEFI systems -- it's much
> cleaner and easier to use than grub2. I have a couple of articles
> about configuring it (on Debian, but much of the older article will
> probably apply to any distro):
> http://shallowsky.com/blog/tags/extlinux/
>
> Unfortunately I haven't had the courage to try it on my one UEFI
> laptop. I'd love to know if anyone's succeeded with that. For now,
> that laptop has a preinstalled Ubuntu partition with a
> grub2-controlled /boot on that partition. But the partition I
> actually use is a separate Debian partition. So on the Ubuntu
> partition I've turned off all auto-updating of grub and set it up
> so that my hand-written stanza to boot my Debian partition as
> default will not be overwritten. And on the Debian partition, I
> have a symlink pointing /boot to /ubuntu/boot, and I have to make
> sure /ubuntu is mounted before I apt-get upgrade in case there are
> any kernel changes that copy a new kernel into /boot. Makes me long
> for the simple extlinux setup on my other machines.
>
>         ...Akkana

Thanks Akkana,

Based on your endorsement, I'm going to experiment with extlinux.

On all of my future *desktops*, I'll have a < 3GB SSD for the root
partition, and have something similar to WD Black for all my data
partitions, and for changing system partitions such as /var. So in
fact, for the next few years, on my desktop, I can afford to keep going
MBR.

Laptops are another issue, but I'm not as picky about what goes on my
laptops.

Thanks!

SteveT