[svlug] Won't boot systemd update...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Jan 30 12:03:57 PST 2015

I'm trying to get an lfs-7.6-systemd system booting.  Suspecting that
the culprit was my custom kernel, I grabbed
vmlinuz-3.17.7-300.fc21.x86_64 and the associated initrd from the host
system and almost got a usable boot out of the new system.

A bunch of failed messages, but I can't read them because they flash by
too quickly.  The login prompt is unusable, even after chrooting in to
add usbutils and libusb.  I have no keyboard and no mouse.  I'm thinking
I may need to chroot in to the system from the Fedora host to install
rsyslog so I have a readable log.  Don't know if something different in
fedora's kernel allowed a near boot or if an initramfs is mandatory.
Making an initramfs on the LFS system is difficult because dracut has
a lot of dependencies.

Frustrating that it might be something beyond the first book that is
leading to a system that doesn't boot.