[svlug] Boot systems: was Can't get LFS systemd system to boot

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Jan 30 11:07:01 PST 2015

> Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> > (I still laugh heartily when I remember all of those
> > people who claimed with a serious face that changing from lilo to
> > GRUB was going to make everything easier.  What a crock!)

It did, at least for me. Grub 1 was able to keep its config files
with information about all OSes on the disk in a common /boot
partition, and put all its code on that /boot so you didn't have to
worry about whether you had slightly different grub versions
installed on your various OSes, like you did with LILO.

It's grub 2 that's complicated and difficult to configure, and which
went back to the model that only one OS can own /boot and the rest
must all be subsidiary to that.

Steve Litt writes:
> Also, anyone here booting their hard disks from SYSLINUX? Am I correct
> that SYSLINUX can't boot a UEFI/GPT disk? Any tips on using SYSLINUX?

I use extlinux (syslinux) on all my non-UEFI systems -- it's much
cleaner and easier to use than grub2. I have a couple of articles
about configuring it (on Debian, but much of the older article will
probably apply to any distro):
http://shallowsky.com/blog/tags/extlinux/

Unfortunately I haven't had the courage to try it on my one UEFI
laptop. I'd love to know if anyone's succeeded with that. For now,
that laptop has a preinstalled Ubuntu partition with a
grub2-controlled /boot on that partition. But the partition I
actually use is a separate Debian partition. So on the Ubuntu
partition I've turned off all auto-updating of grub and set it up
so that my hand-written stanza to boot my Debian partition as
default will not be overwritten. And on the Debian partition, I
have a symlink pointing /boot to /ubuntu/boot, and I have to make
sure /ubuntu is mounted before I apt-get upgrade in case there are
any kernel changes that copy a new kernel into /boot. Makes me long
for the simple extlinux setup on my other machines.

        ...Akkana