[svlug] (forw) Linux at Work

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 10:12:35 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 09:42:12AM -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
> I'm building applications on a development VM running CentOS 4 for a
> client because that seems to be the least common denominator for the odd
> collection of SuSE, Ubuntu, RHEL, and other distros they are running
> in house.  Other clients have a CentOS 5 VM and newer clients have a
> CentOS 6 VMs.

Hmm... SuSE, Ubuntu, and RHEL huh? Sounds like EC2 offerings.

I admit my flaw, I looked for the 'latest and greatest' and then followed up
through forums when I couldn't find what I needed; I was shocked. I'm sure the
reasons are really good as their business model depends on their offerings. My
application is simply research based.

> As Rick says, CentOS is stable and long-lived.  CentOS 5 will receive
> updates until 2017, CentOS 6 until 2020.

Holy cow! That _is_ a long time! I'll download 6.something or whatever is the
latest 32bit I can nab that will spin in VirtualBox on my old HP dv6.

Before embarking on this adventure, I did an upgrade to VB and _every_ supported
option is labeled as 32bit. I determined this a while back through
trial-and-error but, found it intriguing to be brought to my attention directly
from the update.

Thanks for posting this Michael, good to know.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein