[svlug] Boot systems: was Can't get LFS systemd system to boot

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jan 30 08:34:59 PST 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 01:24:17 -0800

> (I still laugh heartily when I remember all of those
> people who claimed with a serious face that changing from lilo to
> GRUB was going to make everything easier.  What a crock!)

So Rick,

Do you use LILO today? Do you use ELILO for stuff that must boot from
GPTs? How's ELILO working out? Can you give me some pointers to the
mindset necessary to use LILO successfully, and to the *useful* LILO
documentation?

I'm particularly interested in how to make your lilo.conf while
booted some other way, to "think backwards" to envision the system as it
will boot. Do you use chroot? Something else? I was never good at the
"thinking ahead" part of LILO. Does LILO do anything out of the
ordinary with initramfs, or can you use the same initramfs, with
different lilo.conf syntax, that Grub2 used?

I had nothing against Grub, but my loathing of Grub2 approaches that of
systemd, and I'm looking for a replacement.

Also, anyone here booting their hard disks from SYSLINUX? Am I correct
that SYSLINUX can't boot a UEFI/GPT disk? Any tips on using SYSLINUX?

=~=~=

My current daily driver desktop is Debian Wheezy. For reasons I'm sure
you all know and don't need repeated, I'm moving away from Debian,
almost certainly to Manjaro, initted either by Epoch or runit, with an
Openbox desktop, or perhaps something even lighter.

With my next desktop, I'm trying very hard to get rid of as much
dependency and complexity as possible, so that my OS and my GUI run
applications: Nothing less and nothing more. This switchover would be
an excellent time for me to finally get rid of Grub2, so I'm looking
hard at alternatives.

Thanks,

SteveT