[svlug] Can't get LFS systemd system to boot...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 29 22:26:48 PST 2015

Quoting Michael Robinson (plug_1 at robinson-west.com):

> I'm following LFS-7.6-systemd book.  I get a can't mount unknown-0-0
> when I try to boot the system.

Nobody has mentioned this error string before (per Web search),
suggesting that either it's never been talked about before (unlikely) or
you didn't transcribe it accurately.

I'm guessing:

  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Do I win?

Suggestion:  WHen there are relevant diagnostic messages, and you're
seeking help, it's in your interest to quote them verbatim.  If helpers
have to guess what your situation is, then, to quote Miracle Max, 'It'll
take a miracle.'

> I don't want to fry my main fedora system with its own grub for example.

Seems to me like doing this sort of work anywhere near a live system is
playing with fire.  I'd be doing it in a VM.  Which would also make the
diagnostic situation simpler.  When trying out new things, fewer
complications are better.

>  What kernel options do I need to be able to use UUIDs instead of device names?

     root=PARTUUID=[big ugly hexadecimal mess]

This is documented in comment lines of init/do_mounts.c in the kernel
soruce code.