[svlug] (forw) Linux at Work

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jan 29 08:33:03 PST 2015

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:28:17 -0800
Scott DuBois <rhcom.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:46:09AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > I'm going to guess that you're under 45.
>
> Just _barely_ by a few months.
>
> > You haven't really lived until you're at a cattle call, and a
> > recruiter walks right through you to shake hands with a guy 30
> > years old. The recruiter knows nothing about either of you.
>
> Actually, I've experienced it. It just hasn't sunk in that I'm
> reaching the top of the hill, ya know?

Whoa, homeboy, not the top of the hill. You'll continue getting
smarter and more capable far into the future. You haven't reached the
top of the hill, you've reached a stupid, irrational obstacle.

> > There are many ways to compensate for age discrimination, but those
> > jobs that used to get thrown at you on a daily basis start becoming
> > much less frequent as you gray. The guys who were better than
> > average but not ninjas: continually employed when their hair was
> > black, are the first laid off and the last rehired at 55.
>
> Talk about putting the 'c' in cynical; dang.

I view it as putting tht 't' in truth!

> > And don't forget that some of those job posts are to prove no
> > qualified Americans want the job:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU
>
> That is some creepy f'd up shit. When did our employers go to 'hell
> in a handbasket'?

3000 BC? You should have been working in the 1970's. The boss told you
how to vote. You had to wear a suit every day. In 1930 something, my
aunts worked in a sweatshop paint factory, and came home barfing paint
every night. In the middle ages before the Black Death, if you were an
agricultural worker, you weren't *allowed* to move to another town
where there were better opportunities.

> What's the benefit of eliminating citizens for visa employees? Seems
> like an awful lot of work just to find 'holes' in the system rather
> than just hire someone that lives in town and can do the job.

Cheap, captive, compliant labor. Have you ever worked with people whose
boss controls their green card? I worked with one, and she smiled
through every single indignity the boss put her through. I rode a
skateboard to work and wore what I wanted. I argued with the boss. I
quit. I got another job. She didn't have those alternatives, unless she
wanted to get sent back. She did whatever the boss said.

SteveT