[svlug] (forw) Linux at Work

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 22:28:17 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:46:09AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> I'm going to guess that you're under 45.

Just _barely_ by a few months.

> You haven't really lived until you're at a cattle call, and a recruiter
> walks right through you to shake hands with a guy 30 years old. The
> recruiter knows nothing about either of you.

Actually, I've experienced it. It just hasn't sunk in that I'm reaching the top
of the hill, ya know?

> There are many ways to compensate for age discrimination, but those
> jobs that used to get thrown at you on a daily basis start becoming
> much less frequent as you gray. The guys who were better than average
> but not ninjas: continually employed when their hair was black, are the
> first laid off and the last rehired at 55.

Talk about putting the 'c' in cynical; dang.

> And don't forget that some of those job posts are to prove no
> qualified Americans want the job:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

That is some creepy f'd up shit. When did our employers go to 'hell in a
handbasket'?

What's the benefit of eliminating citizens for visa employees? Seems like an
awful lot of work just to find 'holes' in the system rather than just hire
someone that lives in town and can do the job.

Why was I not consulted? ;p

> Don't assume those not employed are lazy or bad at their job. There's a
> lot more than meets the eye.

Oh, I'm well aware of the 'dirty shit' that goes on. It goes _desparately_ deep
too.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein