[svlug] (forw) Linux at Work

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:29:26 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 04:24:58PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Again replying to my offlist inquirer:
>
> > From my first night in class, I have already surmised there is a bias
> > towards Red Hat and similar (CentOS, Fedora). Not much learning being
> > done involving other platforms.
>
> I'm not very surprised.  Judging by what I've heard about software fads
> at colleges over the past 30 years, you're lucky to not be having Java
> and/or .Net crammed down your throat.

Been there, ate that. It is what it is if that's your focus platform. As for
just learning it? Whatever. I would have preferred Python or C++ myself. I don't
really use Microsoft for very much of anything these days so I can't say much
about .NET.

Being 'exposed' to something or taking a class in it doesn't mean after class I
would want to touch it again. Someone else makes the curriculum based on
whatever criteria they use, supposedly what the industry wants. However, the
industry is constantly complaining that students are coming out of the schools
not knowing the things that employers _want_ them to know; so where is the
disconnect?

It's kind of like why are there so many people out of work when there is a
plethora of job boards one can subscribe to that are all bursting with
opportunities? The rationale that 'anyone' would be out of work makes no sense
whatsoever as there are more jobs offered then there are people out of work.

> Nothing wrong with CentOS.  It's solid and functional, and there's also
> tonnes of third-party compatible software where needed.  Fedora is fine
> for experimentation.  For Ghod's sake, don't deploy anything on it that
> must remain reliable over 1+ year time spans.

The only issue I've found with CentOS is a lack of 32bit offering. Ok, my system
is too old to run 64bit, so CentOS doesn't care? Too much work to maintain two
platforms? Maybe it's available and I just missed it somewhere? Otherwise, it
seems ok.

Fedora? Tried it. If someone likes it, that's cool. I wouldn't give up Debian
based distros for it. I simply found the rpm packaging system lacking but, it's
been a few years and I read it was going to be completely revamped so maybe it's
better. Forced to use it? Whatever. I person can be 'forced' to use any OS, it
doesn't mean I have to be a fan nor promote its use to anyone else.

Just like Windows in the workplace, I just tell people "They force me to use it,
but I wouldn't recommend it."

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein