[svlug] (forw) Linux at Work

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 28 16:24:58 PST 2015

Again replying to my offlist inquirer:

> From my first night in class, I have already surmised there is a bias
> towards Red Hat and similar (CentOS, Fedora). Not much learning being
> done involving other platforms.

I'm not very surprised.  Judging by what I've heard about software fads
at colleges over the past 30 years, you're lucky to not be having Java
and/or .Net crammed down your throat.

Anyway, the biggest difference between RHEL and CentOS on a practical
level (money aside) is that software maintenance is a significantly
bigger pain in the arse on RHEL:  You end up needing to screw around
with the RHN Web site, 'channels', and service entitlements that expire
and need to be renewed.  By contrast, with CentOS you have yum and the
various official and unofficial repos, which Just Work.

Nothing wrong with CentOS.  It's solid and functional, and there's also
tonnes of third-party compatible software where needed.  Fedora is fine
for experimentation.  For Ghod's sake, don't deploy anything on it that
must remain reliable over 1+ year time spans.