[svlug] sa-learn

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:24:46 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 04:27:27PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Ah, _now_ you tell me you're not using the MTA I've sent you a whole
> buncn of offlist help tips about over the last couple of days.

Well, I 'will' be using Exim4 with the svlug list migration so all that useful
information will be of absolute assistance. I have it all and I 'will' be using
it. Your guidance is not in vain.

> There's a great deal to like about Postfix.  I administer it at $WORK
> frequently, and it's probably the predominant MTA in the Linux work
> today, with some reason.
>
> What there isn't, is an effective set of canned configuration
> suggestions comparable to Eximconfig.

Maybe not, but I figure I'd ask before jumping into the web of 'unknown' crazy
posts of configuration nonsense. As I've said before, it's far better to acquire
one's knowledge base from a reputable scholarly source before turning to the
World Wide Weird.

> If I say 'You should use Exim4 instead of Postfix, so you can benefit
> from J.P. Boggis's work', then all the cute little munchkins who think
> it's fun to do MTA disputations will show up thinking I've volunteered
> to debate them.  So, I'm not saying that.

Yeah, I get this shit too. It's annoying but, it's a free world and they have a
right to voice their opinion just as I have a choice to ignore them.

> Not a complaint exactly, but you could have saved me a certain amount of
> pointless work if you'd said, early in that series of my help mails,
> 'Thanks, Rick, but we're actually leaning towards using Postfix.'
> Putting together the help information I did required a certain amount of
> time, and it makes me a bit sad to learn after the fact that it was
> pointless.

It wasn't pointless. I'll be using all that info, just not 'necessarily' for the
eblug instance. This does not necessarily mean we won't change in the future.

> Also, my giving you shell on my server so you can study how
> Exim4/Mailman/Apache integration works is now revealed to be mostly
> pointless.

Not at all, I have to rebuild a new version of all that as I said I would.

Good work on getting your server up and running again. Did you use your new
hardware?

I spent the day getting my first samba server running. It wouldn't have taken so
long if the instructions I had been going from had mentioned the small deatil of
running smbpasswd. I was under the impression that my system password was all I
needed. Incomplete documentation sucks! The web is full of it.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein