[svlug] sa-learn

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 23 16:27:27 PST 2015

Quoting Scott DuBois (rhcom.linux at gmail.com):

> Well, we're not running Exim; we're running Postfix although, based on your
> recommendation, I will look for additional alternatives that can be utilized in
> conjunction with Postfix to help remedy spam.

Ah, _now_ you tell me you're not using the MTA I've sent you a whole
buncn of offlist help tips about over the last couple of days.

There's a great deal to like about Postfix.  I administer it at $WORK
frequently, and it's probably the predominant MTA in the Linux work
today, with some reason.

What there isn't, is an effective set of canned configuration
suggestions comparable to Eximconfig.

If I say 'You should use Exim4 instead of Postfix, so you can benefit
from J.P. Boggis's work', then all the cute little munchkins who think
it's fun to do MTA disputations will show up thinking I've volunteered
to debate them.  So, I'm not saying that.

What I'm saying is, using Postfix, you won't have that really good guide
to help you, and I wish you the best of luck.  (Some Postfix advocates
may come forward and claim they know how to do a really, really good job
for sure, man!, and I wish you luck with them, too.)

If you end up asking _me_ how to do a good job of effective antispam
using Postfix, I can give you vague ideas, but that's about the limit.
Also, I don't happen to have set up Mailman integration with Postfix,
though I'm sure it's not brain-surgery.

In point of fact, all of those things I _can_ (and did, offlist, over
the last couple of days) point you towards good guides on using Exim4.

Not a complaint exactly, but you could have saved me a certain amount of
pointless work if you'd said, early in that series of my help mails,
'Thanks, Rick, but we're actually leaning towards using Postfix.'
Putting together the help information I did required a certain amount of
time, and it makes me a bit sad to learn after the fact that it was
pointless.

Also, my giving you shell on my server so you can study how
Exim4/Mailman/Apache integration works is now revealed to be mostly
pointless.

But good luck, anyway.