[svlug] sa-learn

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:32:17 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:35:18AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Scott DuBois (rhcom.linux at gmail.com):
>
> > Does anyone have an already well established spamassassin list built that I can
> > plug into the EBLUG SA we installed last night?
> >
> > We would be most grateful. =)
>
> Typically, one best populates the Bayesian database by feeding it mboxes
> of known ham and spam.
>
> # su - Debian-exim
> Debian-exim at linuxmafia:~$ sa-learn --ham --mbox /tmp/ham
> Debian-exim at linuxmafia:~$ sa-learn --spam --mbox /tmp/spam
> Debian-exim at linuxmafia:~$ exit
> #
>
> I will caution you in advance against relying on autolearn.  The
> spammers send out spam with large amounts of Project Gutenburg and
> similar text to de-tune people's Bayesian classifiers.  You need to
> ensure that you are feeding mbox files consisting of typical spam
> without the public-domain-text chaff for the 'sa-learn --spam'
> invcations, and clear non-spam for the 'sa-learn --ham' ones.
>

> A more-fundamental point:  Don't rely primarily on SA for your antispam.
> SA, even when run daemonised as a system facility, is big and slow
> (being in Perl).  Most of the heavy lifting is best done by Exim ACL
> sets, as described by J.P. Boggis's 'Eximconfig' prepackaged set of
> configurations.

Well, we're not running Exim; we're running Postfix although, based on your
recommendation, I will look for additional alternatives that can be utilized in
conjunction with Postfix to help remedy spam.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein