[svlug] inits

Mark - Syminet mark at syminet.com
Tue Jan 20 11:29:24 PST 2015

On Jan 20, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

Hi Steve,

> One man's opinion...
>
> Ginger, or Mary Ann?

Both.  ;-)

> That's a false choice. There are 3.5 billion other women on this earth.

True true, and we do have to choose.  I got lucky somehow in that department.
No idea how and why she puts up with me!  haha

> Systemd, or sysvinit.
>
> Another false choice, there are over ten other init systems, most of
> which are better (in my opinion and that of several others) than
> *either* systemd or sysvinit.
>
> As far as "whatever happened to good software", my answer would be:
>
> * runit
> * nosh
> * s6
> * perp
> * Epoch
> * OpenRC

Well said (as usual) - my interest these days is mostly on OpenRC.
The Debian developer for OpenRC was one of the calmest, soundest
minds during the whole flamethread and basically "did the right thing"(TM)
...asking for people to put their energy toward development help to port it
to debian - instead of fighting.

He was right, and it speaks loudly to the different mindset of the developers
(OpenRC vs. systemd).

> In my view, Poettering is like a used car salesman trying to sell you a
> Ford Pinto by repeatedly pointing out that it's better than a Yugo.

And both have bald, "may-pop" tires!  The problem with systemd is...
which tire?

> Oh, and by the way, I personally think the Pinto is better than the
> Yugo, and sysvinit is better than Systemd. If I were forced to make
> such a choice, that is.

Same.  Some of the software I've been playing with / writing in python,
to dynamically create new VM's.  It used to be you could pretty much
"cp -dpRv", or rsync an entire filesystem hierarchy, bootstrap it and boot it.
Voila!

The codebase has now *tripled* and this is *not* with new features - it's
dealing with insane bullshit going on in grub2 (can we simply bootstrap
a system - like BSD does please?), and now systemd is just a nightmare
beyond the pale.

Whatever happened to simple, understandable systems we could
have fun with?  Nothing like a nice good coffee + breakfast.

--
Mark