[svlug] inits

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jan 20 08:25:09 PST 2015

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 17:49:38 -0700
Mark - Syminet <mark at syminet.com> wrote:

> For Debian -
>
> So the bug-numbers are starting to build upon each other:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=systemd;dist=testing
>
> ...and for the venerable SysV, we have:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=sysv-rc;dist=testing
>
> ...please explain exactly why which one appears more solid?
>
> ...and might I say - are Debian users being converted into
> RHEL beta-testers?   Because there's nothing like keeping the
> stockholders happy.
>
> Whatever happened to good software?

Hi Mark,

One man's opinion...

Ginger, or Mary Ann?

That's a false choice. There are 3.5 billion other women on this earth.

Systemd, or sysvinit.

Another false choice, there are over ten other init systems, most of
which are better (in my opinion and that of several others) than
*either* systemd or sysvinit.

As far as "whatever happened to good software", my answer would be:

* runit
* nosh
* s6
* perp
* Epoch
* OpenRC

In my view, Poettering is like a used car salesman trying to sell you a
Ford Pinto by repeatedly pointing out that it's better than a Yugo.

Oh, and by the way, I personally think the Pinto is better than the
Yugo, and sysvinit is better than Systemd. If I were forced to make
such a choice, that is.

SteveT