[svlug] This mess is surely a conspiracy, my brain hurts and I don't like complexity or live long and prosper

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 10:16:38 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 04:04:05PM +0000, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> At the time of William Ockham's life, one of the perplexing issues in mathematics
> was dealing with infinity and more generally limits. These issues were finally
> resolved mathematically by Newton and Leibniz in the 17th century.[1,2] In the
> centuries preceding Newton and Leibniz, the notion of infinity was an unresolved
> problem in mathematics that was generally defined as being associated with evil
> or God by different cultures at different times.[3]

This takes me back to my studies of Sacred Geometry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_geometry

> Occam's razor came much later. The "Principle of Plurality" and the "Principle of
> Parsimony" were attributed to the notion of Occam's razor.[5] And this was all
> attributed to William Ockham, even though the Greek philosopher Aristotle first
> formalized these ideas.[5,6]

Ah, another great reference: The Nichomachean Ethics

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/ari/nico/

> That's my point of view on this matter.

And thus, if _anyone_ ever asks me about Occam's razor? Just send them over to
Karen Schaeffer; she'll tell you _all_ about it. =)

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein