[svlug] Debian upgrade (was Debian Upgrade 7.8)

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 09:55:48 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 08:56:16AM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> I think I know. You install package foo at some point, which
> requires package bar without your noticing it. Time passes, and you
> find a need for bar (which conveniently is already installed -- how
> handy!) and start using it. You find that foo isn't actually all
> that useful, and you apt-get purge foo. But now, apt-get autoremove
> wants to remove bar -- what's up with that? I'm using bar, I don't
> want to remove it!
>
> The cure is to apt-get install bar explicitly. Since it's already
> installed you might need a --force or --reinstall or something (I
> forget) ... or even uninstall/reinstall it (like if you accidentally
> say yes to that autoremove and only notice later that you removed
> bar). But one way or another, if you explicitly apt-get install bar
> it will no longer remind you.
>
> I don't think I've ever seen apt-get autoremove remove something in
> error; certainly not recently. I have often seen it want to remove
> packages that I actually use, which initially makes me *think* it's
> in error -- but it always turns out to be either a dependency like
> I just described, or a version-specific issue (for instance,
> virtualbox cleaning up old kernel modules because they've been
> renamed for a newer kernel).

Well, just a couple days ago I had it listing kate, amarok, rythmbox and some
other programs which I 'occasionally' use and for the life of me couldn't figure
out what the link was between something I had removed and all these programs. So
I did as you explained above and 'explicitly' installed them.

Otherwise, you pretty much nailed what I was _futally_ trying to explain in a
couple of sentences.

Dependencies no longer needed when a package is removed is one thing but other
entire packages? I don't know, guess I'll have to read up on 'autoremove'.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein