[svlug] Debian upgrade (was Debian Upgrade 7.8)

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 08:51:00 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:37:36AM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> If you don't give apt-get/aptitude a clue of what you want in your
> system it can't guess, otherwise it works as expected.
> In fact the difference between remove and purge is configuration
> removal, there is no difference in the way they deal with dependencies
> and autoremove.

So if I 'purge' gedit, why does autoremove populate with kate as being
unnecessary?

The fix being read any _wanted_ programs in the populated autoremove list and
add them to an _install_ list. Autoremove then understands that these programs
should stay.

> remove could come handy if you're trying to fix some dependency problem
> and you don't want to really remove the package but just remove/reinstall.
> I generally go for purge.

Yes, I do this this occasionally.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein