[svlug] Debian upgrade (was Debian Upgrade 7.8)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Jan 19 01:37:36 PST 2015

On 01/19/2015 02:51 AM, Scott DuBois wrote:

> Ah, but the problem with using the 'purge' switch is that it populates
> 'autoremove' which throws warnings and doesn't seem to have a really functional
> algorithm. I removed some 'dead weight' and I got a message saying other
> programs a nd libraries that I _do_ use were no longer necessary.

If you don't give apt-get/aptitude a clue of what you want in your
system it can't guess, otherwise it works as expected.
In fact the difference between remove and purge is configuration
removal, there is no difference in the way they deal with dependencies
and autoremove.

remove could come handy if you're trying to fix some dependency problem
and you don't want to really remove the package but just remove/reinstall.
I generally go for purge.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it