[svlug] Debian upgrade (was Debian Upgrade 7.8)

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 17:51:08 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 03:30:02PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Scott DuBois wrote:
>
> > Yeah, but I get concerned of dependencies going bye-bye that were necesary
> > for other programs. I know the system 'should' know this and prevent it, but.
>
> apt-get remove with --purge doesn't do that.  What it does is erase things
> like /etc/ and (IIRC) /usr/share files associated with the package that
> would otherwise be left behind.

Ah, but the problem with using the 'purge' switch is that it populates
'autoremove' which throws warnings and doesn't seem to have a really functional
algorithm. I removed some 'dead weight' and I got a message saying other
programs a nd libraries that I _do_ use were no longer necessary.

I had to learn to do: sudo apt-get install then copy and paste everything from
that list into the apt-get string to make the message go away. At this point, I
can't say I necessarily 'trust' the autoremove function.

> > I wasn't thrilled with the concept of trying to rebuild a bigger / root
> > filesystem but it would have been interesting.
>
> The non-destructive filesystem-resizing utilities are claimed to be pretty
> reliable, these days.

Yeah, I did some research and it looks like there are a couple of ways people
have gone about solving the 'capped' root filesystem issue. I'm back down to 93%
so I'm not overly concerned anymore but, it's at the back of my mind.

> > I did have both installed but, KDE was a 'stripped down' version. I tried
> > to only load KDE during install but didn't find the option to pass on GNOME3.
>
> My own preference is to start with a _minimal_ Debian installation (not
> including GNOME), and then build up from there.

I was first contemplating simply installing the spin-off called Kwheezy which is
exactly what one would expect and prevent GNOME from being installed at all.
However, I let some 'silve tongued' people on the Debian IRC talk me out of it.
That decision may have been my downfall. While I'm only a couple of weeks into
this install, I may consider just going that direction anyway before getting too
deep.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein