[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun Jan 18 02:05:19 PST 2015

On 01/18/2015 02:55 AM, Scott DuBois wrote:

> Having recently switched from a 'buntu based distro to Debian I can attest that,
> IMHO, it's not so much that 'buntu and it's derivitives have a lower learning
> curve so much as the platform is more forgiving to adding almost anything to it
> as you mention. There is a certain detriment to this though as the system
> becomes quite cluttered very fast and the oipportunity for _user_ inflicted
> corruption is much higher.

"more forgiving to add almost anything" is hard to understand given the
context.
Unless ubuntu package maintainers are asshole in compiling the list of
dependencies I'd say that Debian is more prone to become bloated
considering that the number of *officially supported* package in Debian
could be between 2 and 3 times the ones in Ubuntu.
There are a plethora of unsupported Ubuntu repository exactly for that
reason.

I just have virtualbox and deb-multimedia and there are less and less
reasons to keep them. I'm just too lazy to set up KVM and sooner or
later flash will die. People told me ffmpeg is still better than what
Debian decided to supply but I'd say that in my daily use of my computer
it hardly makes a difference.

It's just a matter of what kind of people Ubuntu attract vs. Debian and
what Ubuntu does to attract those people: take decisions for them and
hide stuff under the carpet.
You could have said the same with PHP and python.
Rick has already spent enough time illustrating the point.

Linux on the desktop is a fairy tale. It's a miracle we have so
functional graphic environment considering there are very few money you
can earn from writing a DE for Linux.

No one really care if you can't watch your blueray on your server or on
your development machine.
Guess what... a lot of developers that don't have to stay too near to
the metal are using Macs even if the software they are writing is going
to run on Linux.
But well that's happening because the deployment environment is getting
more and more virtualized etc... I'm not happy about the situation and I
don't think it is good but now most languages have their package
manager, deployment tools etc... so it seems that devs prefer to know
less of their environment and watch more blueray.
I think that the increase in complexity to replicate in a non native box
a good enough dev environment in a different platform overcome the need
of watching blueray and having a cool notebook.

I do understand the importance of being able to watch a blueray on your
everyday computer if you care about free software world dominance, but
well it seems it is going to happen some other way.

Again Rick illustrated why watching your DRM protected stuff on Debian
requires just a little bit more effort than on Ubuntu.

On the long run it is going to pay off. Actually who really care about
blueray when you've the internet?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it