[svlug] This mess is surely a conspiracy, my brain hurts and I don't like complexity or live long and prosper

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sat Jan 17 20:53:15 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 04:27:48PM -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
> On 01/01/15 17:31, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> > Indeed, but Albert Einstein said keep it simple. Paraphrasing, Einstein
> > said: Never construct a theory that is more complex than it needs to be.
> > If you have two theories, and one is more complex than the other, while
> > both fully account for all observed data, then always pick the simplest
> > of the two.
>
> William of Ockham?

Hi Michael,
Certainly an interesting guy. But I am personally a big fan of AE. He had a
lot of character flaws -- so he was human... If only AE had lived during our
time, he would have had a lot of fun with his very own linux cluster. AE is
an amazing human being in my opinion. He didn't have any computers. All he
had was paper, pencil, and his imagination.

A fascinating look into the mind of AE is here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0806527900/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0486470105&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YDHQG47BG5A99VVHMZ2

"The World As I See It, published in 1931 by AE, is a free flowing discussion of
AE's view of the world, and having nothing to do with his technical work. I found
that book to be well worth reading. Fascinating actually.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb